Before you make plans, please contact Acord to:
- Agree on date(s)
- Find out what Acord needs
- Learn Acord’s policy on expired products
- Arrange drop-off details
E-mail us at Acord.Director@gmail.com
Great times to organize a food drive for Acord:
• winter through early spring (Jan. through April)
• summer vacation months (July and August)
• early fall (Sept through mid-October)
Why not all year? Annual two-town food drives for Acord every May and November provide all the food we can handle for quite a while! Please time your drive to provide food when Acord needs it most.
Tips for a successful food drive
- Promote your drive a week in advance to give people time to shop.
- Hand out a shopping list of items Acord needs most at the time of your drive. Consider a theme, such as breakfast items, “meals in a can,” a holiday, or foods for kids’ lunchboxes.
- Ask donors for unopened, non-perishable food items that have not reached their “sell by” date.
- For workplace drives, ask the company to offer a matching gift. Encourage competition. Recognize the group that brings in the most food.
- Let people know they can write a check to Acord if they prefer.
- Decorate and label collection boxes. Tape bottoms securely.
- Build time into your schedule for you to check the expiration date on each item. (Don’t bring expired products to Acord; throw out or recycle them yourself.)
- Deliver the food to Acord at a previously-arranged time.
- Thank donors afterward, in whatever way you recruited them. Post thanks on Facebook and Twitter; e-mail friends and colleagues; replace your promotional poster with a thank-you poster. Consider sharing a photo of all the food you collected, or info about how much was donated.
Thank you for partnering with Acord.